Wednesday, June 15, 2011

New babies from E-Bay 6-15-2011

Just got my latest prizes from e-bay- actually two sets, coincidentally from the same fellow.  James Shaw, I thank you. All of these caps are vintage cork-lined caps.  Scrappy, let's go to the film, er, picture.


Starting at 12 o'clock, that is a Berghoff, one of Ft. Wayne's home breweries (back in the day, that is). It says "Famous Berghoff Beer" and is a "WHS" cap. I have had zero luck trying to find out what manufacturer that is, but thanks to google, if I ever need to find a cap manufacturer in China or India, I'm all set.  According to Tavern Trove, this cap was made in 1938.  Heading clockwise, we next have its sister Berghoff.  She is an Armstrong.  Then we have the interesting story of this 1933-40 Bud cap.  This is not a Budweiser- as the logo "Manhattan Brewing co., Chicago Ill."   on the side proves.  The Manhattan co. was a pre-prohibition company eventually owned by mobster Frank Nitti.  Bud emerged as one of its many brands after prohibition ended (although the factory never stopped brewing beer when it could get away with it), but in 1947 new ownership got rid of every vestige of the gangster tainted past and was reborn as Canadian Ace, whose cans I have seen many times.  This cap was made by Sealex.

Following Bud is a Falls City Hi-Bru, with "Kentucky" on the face and "Kentucky beer tax paid 15 cents" and Falls City Brewing co., Louisville KY" on the side.  Tavern trove has this cap as 1935 (perspective time- this cap is @ 75 years old!).  Bottom of the circle is a Flecks, which was brewed by the Fleckenstein brewery in Faribault, MN (dead south of Minneapolis/St. Paul), from a recipe started in the old country (Germany) in 1577.  He's a CCC (Chicago Crown cap).

Next on the upswing is a Beverwyck's Irish Cream Ale, a CCS.  It was an Albany, NY, company that according to Wikipedia produced ICA from 1933 to 1950, though Tavern Trove lists the cap as a 1952.  Next up is a pretty blue 1951 Budweiser, a ZapatA.  The top of the circle but one is a Rainier from 1957, with a little gold banner that says "Truly  Mild"- not much of a beer description these days.  He's a Crown Cap Company, with the 3 concentric "c"s on the side.  And that brings us to the star of our show.

This is a Berghoff that I assume is among the oldest in my collection.  On the top ring, it says "D-ST Permit 7-u-710"; underneath that, "12 flu oz";  under the main logo, "Ft. Wayne, Indiana"; and on the bottom ring, "does not contain more than 4% alcohol by volume".  Of all the caps I've found on e-bay, this was the ONE hell-or-high-water cap for me.  I love the Ft. Wayne brewing tradition, as well as the state tradition, which is why these, along with my ancient Falstaffs, Drewerys, Old Crown, and Sterling, are the prize of my heart.

I've got more caps coming in, but they are shipping from Australia and might be a while- kinda a funny place to get American caps.  If I find out any more about these little pride-n-joys, I'll let you all know.  Bottoms up!

No comments:

Post a Comment