Saturday, June 18, 2011

Board #3

Hello and welcome to board #3.  Next time, I'll have to show you the gift I got for Father's Day, but I didn't think about it when I had the camera out.  Very appropriate to the subject.  And on to the caps.







First we have another corkless '37 Chevy find- a gold and red Falstaff.  I thought I saw this on Tavern trove, but theirs are silver background and don't have the tiny lion's head at top right.  Next is the gold cousin to the silver-faced regular Falstaff we saw last time.  Surprisingly, both colors were ZapatAs.  In the middle of row one is a "union made/twist cap" Columbia- another of my nephew's long ago pilferings.  As I recall, I think Columbia was a Pabst offshoot. Then come my pride and joys- my Drewrys.  "Sparkling streams tumble down through the tall trees/ pure and clean, like the fresh taste of Drewrys/ better water makes a better beer..."  Where they found that near the South Bend brewery, I'm not sure.  The first one is your standard cap, a Zulu child. Then comes my all time favorite- the "BIG D" cork liner I found in the Chevy.


It, too, has lost the bright white of the text over the years, but I love it just the same.

Leading off row two is a Drewrys that replaces the blue-and-silver for red-and-white.  Then comes the first big mouth cap I collected- a Coors tall twist. This one and its next door little cousin were both road finds, exciting in a day when you still didn't see a lot of Coors in our area.  Next to it is another Chevy cap- a Falstaff "Tu-Way" with "Pry or Twist" in the black band with the arrow (lower left) and in the center a a Virginia silhouette with "2¢" inside and "VIRGINIA" printed beneath.  After that, we have one of those Falstaff "rebus" caps, where the puzzle is underneath supposed to be underneath the cap.  This one got misprinted, though, and most of the face (which should have the tankard sketched in black) is blank, and part of the rebus is up the side and a bit on the face.  How they managed that trick physically would be neat to know.


Third row starts out with how the rebus cap is supposed to look- the first is an aluminum tall-twist (which didn't get the rebus) and the second the standard rebus cap. All three of these are Zulu children.  Next comes four Genessee's: #1 has the usual logo replaced with "TURN OFF", and "or use opener" beneath; #2 is a cream ale; next is your standard twist off; and finally an old (but not "cork" old) non-twist.  #1 was a roadie; #2-3 I think were Nephew caps- and the degree of crap on it tells you that Kerr (KPP) used the cheap stuff on their caps too- and #4 was a dump cap.  Next is a Fyfe and Drum Extra Lyte (another one of those beers that was among the first cans you got that were out-of-the-area beers), that as I recall I got from my nephew, who had acquired a couple of empty bottles from a fellow collector.

Next up is your standard tall-twist aluminum Hamms, a Zulu child.  The one that you can't hardly read- even in live action- is a Golden Goebel that was found at a dump, taken home despite the fact their was nothing visible on its face, and revealed to be a Goebel after a bath in boric acid (which was the common get-rid-of-rust solution). 

 Finally, a generic "golden amber"- one of a set of four generic caps that my nephew pocketed (while my back was turned) at a can show after I determined I wasn't going to spend what they wanted for them and walked away.  That was the same place that he brought a Kesslers cone-top to hoping to trade up.  And when this one dealer wouldn't trade for the can he wanted (because he would've been stupid to- Kesslers were relatively easy), he waited till the guy wasn't looking and switched them out.  Thankfully, my nephew has grown out of this short phase and become a relatively upstanding citizen.  I forget what the can he got was- except that it was worth a good $10-$15 more; all I remember is that when we tried to call my bro-in-law to get picked up, we couldn't get through on the pay phone because we were like a half-mile from the WMEE transmitters on Maples Road and the station bled over onto the phone line.  How's that for technology?

No comments:

Post a Comment