Friday, June 17, 2011

And now- Board #2

Since I cheated and did Time Machine last night, I now have time to come over here and go onto board #2.  Maestro, picture #1 if you please.


The slightly dinged gentleman leading off is a Budweiser ez-twist with the Georgia state seal at the bottom- another memento of the 1977 Florida trip.  Next is a Coulardot's Tavern child, a Blatz.  Two doors down is another, and you can see that one has a flat silver background, the other a polished silver.  The first was made by ZapatA, the other by WHS.  In between them is a "twist-Lift" Blatz- no brand on the cap- which I think was one of my nephew's "acquisitions".  The end of row one is a Little Kings Cream Ale.  I used to struggle with what to call these-  the bottle featured the brand name Schoengling's, the cap said "Cincinnati's Finest".  Then they came out with the jingle, "Little Kings Cream Ale, it's too good to be beer," and I knew what THEY called themselves at last.  This is a tall twist aluminum.

Row 2 starts with another LKCA, this time a regular size twist off, likely a Zulu child.  The rest of this row are Busch.  First we have a cork liner from the '37 Chevy.  Next are two twist offs, the second stamped Florida, and I believe both from the trip.  Finally a regular ol' cap from the day, a Zulu child.  Nearly identical to the much older cork, except the text is a hair bigger.


The second half of board 2 starts with a tall twist Busch, from its good shape I'd say another Zulu child.  Following him are a pair of "sparkling" Champales, "the champagne of beers".  The first is  Florida, the second a Georgia.  Next comes a Colt 45 tall twist- I think it was my cousin Ed that used to drink that.  At the end of row three is a Buckhorn beer, and I've been scratching my head over where I got that one.  I know Coulardot's didn't sell it, and I don't think it was a roadside find.  I might have traded a beer can for it, but I just don't know for sure.  Next is kind of an odd bird- a Cock'N Bull cork liner.  Apparently this was a ginger beer- and thus of dubious credentials for my standard, but I didn't know that back then (or until a few minutes ago).  It was brewed in Hollywood by a guy named Jack Morgan, who owned a restaurant of the same name.  We finish the board off with 4 Falstaffs. The first was a common twist off, a Zulu child.  The next has a bit of a story about it. In our old back yard, we had a string of out buildings along the west property line- a dog pen, an attached shed, an overhang with rabbit pens, and a two-holer outhouse.  The yard-wide strip between the property line and the buildings, separated by a wire fence and large holly bushes, became a repository for odd junk that just didn't fit any of the easy-to-get-rid-of garbage categories. One such object was a sink basin whose days of seeing home were over.  I think it might have been a drunken acquisition of my dad's, that didn't pass light of day inspection or mom's wrath.  In any event, I was snooping around back there one day and discovered a 24 oz. beer bottle- with this cap still attached.  It is a tall twist with a little bitty Georgia state seal on it.  How it got back there, I don't know, but I'm guessing it came up with my Mom's sister Lavonne ("Bonnie") and her husband, Roger, during one of their visits from Bartow, Florida.  Not quite as neat (back then) as the ancient dog's skull that worked it's way to the surface back there, but it lasted a LOT longer.

Next was the common Falstaff non-twist, whose paint job has struggled to stand the test of time.  A Zulu child.  And finally one of those really cool black and gold jobs from the sixties.  One of the few non-cork lined caps from out of the '37 Chevy. I struck out on learning more on that cap, but did learn that Hank Williams Sr. died drinking Falstaff.  Weird wild stuff, as Johnny Carson used to say.

That's it for now, kids.  I might have some more good news later today.

UPDATE:  After an hour of painstaking searching, I have uncovered the identity of WHS- W.H. Hutchinsons and Son, a bottler founded waaay back in Chicago, and sold in 1974 to National Can,

No comments:

Post a Comment