Friday, July 19, 2013

The McCarthy Era

Once again Stephen T. McCarthy has provided us with (this time) 3% 0f the total collection in one shot!  Out of 26 caps he sent me, I had a use for 24 (including a Sierra Nevada that replaced a less-lovely doppleganger).  But before we get into these newbies, let me describe some of the processes that go into... well, processing a cap.

First of all, I have a main list on the computer that IDs the cap, tells me how many of that type, tells me the location, and gives me a page in my little cap notebook.  This is backed up by a hard copy of the list which I write newbies in by pen until I print a new list.  On the back of the last page, I write in the ones I don't have room for, tagging them with a number that corresponds to a balloon tied to the location it would go.  Right now, with all the financial fun we're having, the printer is on the DL, and there are 21 balloons currently on the last page.

Then we go to the previously mentioned notebook, which has an entry for each cap with a reasonable likeness and other necessary info so if I get a cap I might have, I can consult the main list for the cap and its page in the book, get a basic idea of what I'm dealing with, and if it proves ominously similar, the location so I can compare.

Then it gets attached to its place in the latest book (except that the latest book has yet to be purchased) after being photographed and researched for the blog post.  And that brings us to the new guys:




So we start with a Bud Light I found this morning (can't let Scrappy have all the glory).  The only other "pry off" BL I have just says, "BL".  Then on to the STM gang.  The next two on the top row, and the little "devil" are (according to STM-and thanks for the ID page- I wish people who send stuff through eBay would do that!) Levitation Ales from Stone brewing.  This is one of their "lighter" ales, described as a dry hopped amber ale.  The quote on the one is from Beverage World Magazine: "...one of the most devoted cult followings this side of the Grateful Dead."  Next to the devil in row two is another Stone Brewing, this time their Smoked Porter, which is an American style (more on the "smoked" part later).  Its logo reads:  "Stone Brewing has quickly established itself as a craft brewery to be reckoned with."- Democrat and Chronicle, Rochester, NY.  And finally, their Arrogant Bastard Ale, a brew strong enough that they tell you on no uncertain terms that it ain't for everyone- barely for anyone.  At 7.72% alcohol, if you can gag down the first slug, the rest will be easy.

Finishing out row two, we have a Stella Artois that was just enough different from my other one to earn a spot, and a Dixie that he got on an amazing trip cross-country in 1983, I believe.  Dixie brewed out of NOLA until Katrina flooded the breweries and the fine people of NOLA looted the plant for everything not bolted down.  The owners still say the plan is to brew in town once again, but as of 2010 they were still contracting out to other companies.

Row 3 opens with a Bacardis Mojito, which is a malt liquor beverage laced with lime and mint.  Then comes a Red Dog, which was once a premium brew on Miller's Plank Road letterhead.  It started to fade from view in the early 2000s, so they re-positioned it between High Life and Old Milwaukee and it's back to doing fine.  Next is a Batch 19, from Coors' version of "Plank Road".  Another "pre-prohibition style"  Vienna lager, supposedly based on recipes in use in 1919.  Next to that ambles a Bear Republic Brewery cap, specifically their Red Rocket Ale a "bastardized Scottish ale" (which apparently means its like a cross between a strong ale and a barleywine.  Don't ask me, STM drank it!).  Finishing out the row is Alaska Breweries' Smoked Porter.  Smoked means it was brewed with barley malt dried over an open flame, giving it a bit of smoky flavor.  The neat thing about this brewery is it was started in the 1980's with recipes based on ones found in the files of the old Douglas Brewing Company which operated from 1899-1907.

Picture Two, row one, leads off with an Odell's, my second, this one their red ale.  The Polish import from Heineken, Zyweic, is fascinating in that the Hapsburg Family of Austria owned the brewery from its founding in 1856 till the Soviet takeover in 1946.  They now operate the most state-of-the-art building on the continent.  That next one has three hummingbirds on it, because it is a Nectar Ales brew, Red Nectar American Amber.  Nectar Ales is now owned by the Firestone Walker Brewery since 2005.

I can honestly say there's no way I'd drink that next one, Black Mountain's Cave Creek Chili Beer, with hot Serrano chilies brewed in.  It would seem this is the only beer that Crazy Ed Chillins' company brews.  The Green Flash at the end of the row is their Hop Head Red, a "West Coast style ale", which one commenter said means, "hops, hops, hops."

Moving to our last full row, the "solar powered brewery" is the Anderson Valley brewery of Booneville, CA; the cap is their Boont Amber Ale.  Next up is my second Full Sail, this one their ESB (extra special bitter) a spring-only "medium-bodied ale."  Middle of the road is a Bridgeport IPA, from a Portland, OR, brewery that was bought by former big player Gambrinus in 1995.  Then comes my second Big Sky, again an IPA.

Finishing out the row is North Coast's Pranqster Golden ale, a Belgian pale ale.  This brewer bought out another of those "former big players,"  Acme ( not the kind that Bugs and Fudd drank).  And all by himself is a Sam Adams Summer Ale, my second- the other was a more readable blue-and-white.


And with that, and after fighting my computer for the ability to download pictures yet again, we have concluded this journey.  The cap total is up to 778.  Just think if I collected all the different rebus-on-the-underside stuff!

3 comments:

  1. BROTHER MARTIN ~

    Yes, the 'DIXIE' cap is from 1983. The 'CHILI BEER' cap is circa 1993 and, I believe (like the 'Dixie' cap), it's no longer available.

    I was especially pleased to get the 'RED DOG' (circa 1992), RED NECTAR', Odell 'RED ALE', 'RED ROCKET ALE', and 'HOP HEAD RED' caps out of my house.

    This is, after all, 'The McCarthy Era', and I have no use for the REDS!

    ~ Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a hard tome finding stuff on the chili cap- in fact it took a State of "Airheadzona" link to find the one page/one video website. So I don't doubt it.

      SHHHHH on the reds- the lady from Western Sky loans will send the tribe after you!

      I LOVE the Dixie cap! It's much easier to find n old cork lined carp pre 1960 than one from the era I started collecting in.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, the 'DIXIE' cap is easily my favorite of those I sent you. It was purchased in Louisiana, quite possibly in Slidell, just a stone's throw from New Orleans.

    The Black Mountain Brewery's 'Cave Creek Chili Beer' was brewed in Cave Creek (northern tip of Phoenix) and that cap came from a beer I bought and drank right there at the Brewery in 1993.

    The Cave Creek site no longer brews anything - it's just a bar and tourist spot - and all of the Chili Beer is now brewed in Mexico, under contract with "Crazy Ed's". That's why I'm darn near certain that cap design no longer exists. It's now probably just some generic bottle cap that's being used when the brew is bottled in Mexico. (I'll have to look next time I'm in a liquor store, because Chili Beer is still widely available here in Phoenix. It's probably crossing the border into Arizona illegally, too.)

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete