Tuesday, June 11, 2013

And now, Stephen T. McCarthy

One of my most thoughtful and thought-provoking blog friends, he stars over at Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends  (No, this is not a Frank Burns tribute site), and along with something else I will mention after I have enjoyed it, he has sent me four new caps....


In apologia for taking the picture upside down, I'll start with the Odell on the upper right.  It comes from their IPA.  Odell is a craft brew founded in a converted 1915 grain elevator near Ft. Collins, CO.  Diagonal down from it, we have an entry from Deschutes Brewery from Bend, OR.  (The A's used to have a rookie-league team in Bend...)  Deschutes, as of 2010, is only behind Boston (Sam Adams), Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, and Spoetzel  on the most sales list.  The cap came from Mirror Pond Pale Ale, their "base camp" brew.

The other two ( and the font of a long comment discussion you can read here)  Belong to Lagunitas Brewery of a town of the same name in California.  The green fellow is their "Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale", a kind of a wheat beer/IPA combo- which, given my last experience with an IPA, might be the only way I could take one.  (Raised on lager, sorry!)  The other is their "Sucks", which was born as a substitute for their Brown Shugga ale when a bottleneck between desire and capacity forced them to forego the Brown Shugga one season.   The Brown Shugga was born of a similar story; apparently this brown sugar ale was itself a failed attempt at making their Olde GnarleyWine Ale that ended up good.

Again, I want to thank STM for the caps (and the other thing...), and also for sending the descriptions along so that I could tell you the story of each without spending two hours hunting them on the interwebs!  (Of course, thanks to a psychotic PlayMemories program, it took two hours to download the picture- and that's why you get the Odell upside down!)

7 comments:

  1. BROTHER MARTIN ~
    Hey, thanks for the shout-out! I'm glad everything got to you and in good condition (well, the caps look to be in good condition, anyway).

    Kinda funny that you made the "Frank Burns" connection to my blog title so quickly. This is kinda hard to believe but... the title was originally meant as an insult that some Liberal woman wrote to me ["I hope Hillary does get you and the rest of your ferret-faced fascist friends."]

    I eventually decided to turn the insult into the name of my blog. But here's the strange thing... it was probably a couple of years before I myself made the "Frank Burns" connection to what she'd written.

    You'd think that since Senator Joseph McCarthy was one of Frank Burns' heroes, and considering my own personal connection to that show, I would have gotten the "Frank Burns" connection immediately. But it took me years. Ha! I can be such a dope sometimes!

    Anyway, thanks again for the very nice words and the blog promotion. They're greatly appreciated, Bro.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so hard as you might think... M*A*S*H was on as I was typing.

      You're going to have to (well, not have to, but you know what I mean) tell me where you were on the show. One of these days, anyway.

      Delete
    2. BROTHER MARTIN ~
      If you go to my old 'STUFFS' blog, you'll find in the right column a category titled "The Best O' Stuffs' - it's all alphabetized.

      If you scroll down you'll come to a blog bit titled
      "M*A*S*H S*T*U*F*F*S".

      Clicking on that title should take you to a fairly extensive installment in which I wrote about many of my experiences on that show over the final five years of its existence.

      Yak Later...

      ~ D-FensDogg
      'Loyal American Underground'

      Delete
    3. Very cool! I have to admit, the anesthetic episode and the ghost episode I don't really remember. But you are right, just being around such history in the making is great- even if the residuals are "small".

      Delete
    4. CWM ~
      Too bad I didn't fully appreciate things at the time; it was only in hindsight that I realized how fortunate I had been. I was so busy looking forward to bigger and better things (that never materialized) that I failed to completely appreciate what was happening "in the moment". Oh well, live and learn... hopefully.

      Bro, I had no recollection of the anesthetic episode either. Even after seeing it again all those years later, I didn't remember it. And that was true of many episodes. But then again, I was never a fan of the show, so I may have never even seen the whole anesthetic episode until acquiring the Seasons on DVD.

      I did, however, recall the "ghost" episode, but ONLY because I had a line of dialogue in that one.

      The residuals are small now, but they started out quite nice. Year by year, the residuals diminish. Sometimes though they send a passel of 'em in one check which can reach $70 to $100. Not often, but I always NEED 'em when they arrive.

      Hey, I'm saving some more bottle caps for ya. When I have enough to make mailing them worthwhile, I'll let ya know.

      ~ D-FensDogg
      'Loyal American Underground'

      Delete
  2. I saw the words Ferret Face at the same time I heard Frank Burns voice........I really did as hubby has M*A*S*H on in his room.........lol

    Ok now to the bottle caps they look cool I also like different bottle caps but seening them made me think of how hubby doesn't listen to me........recently he needed a bottle opener to open a bottle of beer and I told him so but would he listen to me no he thought it was a twist top.............so he ended up not being able to open the bottle and all I could think was "told you so"...........ok yeah that has nothing to do with the post but hell it is what popped into my head............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL on both stories... I've been known to struggle with opening myself. Used to think it was cool to open caps with my car door...

      Delete