Saturday, November 26, 2011

Beer show

The 37th annual Ft. Wayne Turkey Trot beer collectables show, as a matter of fact.  Just look at the prizes from this trip!

Yup, 13 new caps join the family today.  And if I'd have been a rich man, there'd have been signage, taps, cans, cartons, etc., as well.  But I was a good boy, and here are my prizes.

First we have an Old Crown Ale that the guy who sold me the case the other day brought in for me.

In addition to that cork, we also got these three oldies but goodies.  Kamms was the first brewery in Indiana to re-open after prohibition.  The plant burned in 1950 and closed the next year, but got rehabilitated a few years back into Mishawaka's 100 Center:
Full of restaurants, pubs, and apartments.

The Drewrys and Berghoff are pretty self-explanitory.  But the cork Drewrys was not the ONLY Drewrys...

This was the standard cap when I was growing up, but instead of the blue or red on silvers that I already have, this one is black on gold.

These were newer caps, "8 for a dollar".  Top row is a Molson, followed by a Shiner Bock, a Lakefront Brewery out of Milwaukee (apparently they name their brew after neighborhoods in the city), then the first of three Leinkugels, this one a Red Lager.
Second row has the leinie's Summer Wheat and Fireside Nut Brown.  Then comes a New Holland, from Holland, MI, and a Coors.

And if that wasn't good enough, let's play "before and after".  Here's that Old Crown Bock bottle I got back during Three Rivers before...

...and here's the "new, improved" version...

That's right, I got a label for it!!  Not exactly the same, but I put it on the back side for display purposes.

This show brought back a ton of memories.  Gluek Stites, Hop'n Gators, Old Toppers, wow... and Openers! I could kick myself square in the butt for not keeping all those old openers I used to have.  I dearly wanted to bring some signage home, but the cheapest I found was $35, well past my "allowance".  I hope all those old boys getting loud and boisterous at the beer-tasting got home okay.  I heard somebody ask the leader of the "pack" whether he was driving, and he answered "Only backwards."

No comments:

Post a Comment